CHAPTER - 2

She walked across the sidewalk to get to ‘The posh house ‘as their neighbors called it. The government tried so hard to rent that house but most of the army can’t afford it. News that it is finally rented proved that, their new neighbors were rich enough to be rolling around in money . Aaria felt a little embarrassed because of their financial status, but she pushed away those thoughts and bravely walked up to the Sharma’s doorway .She knocked the front door and stood there scratching her head . A girl of about 12 opened the door. She was short, fair ,had soft straight hair and the most beautiful smile Aaria had ever seen . Aaria was so embarrassed “ Here comes a girl looking like a Miss India and I stand here scratching my head “she scolded herself .She must have looked shocked because the girl said, “I’m sorry to not have introduced myself. You could call me Tanvi. I’ve just moved here .Nice neighborhood ,isn’t it ?” Aaria nodded nervously. Tanvi was just being polite. The only beautiful thing about the neighbourhood was Tanvi’s house. Dustbins have no use in that neighborhood as everything is outside it. Children run amok day and night irritating people. You can never sleep because it is so noisy, crazy, and chaotic. 

 

 “I heard you were Tamil too! That’s great ! This place is so different to Chennai. I don’t know Marathi and I don’t know whether I can blend in along with you guys. I hope we can be friends ,if that’s alright ?”Aaria started smiling from ear to ear saying “Me ? You want to be friends with me? Of course, we can be friends! “as an older women of about 70 reached the doorway. The lady had a remarkably similar smile and it made Aaria feel very welcome."Hello ,Why are you standing near the doorway? Come on in!“ she said as they ushered her in. The inside of the house was just as great. They had dimmers and high-class furniture surrounding their house. She thought that everyone would be sleepy at this weird time , but everyone she had seen were abnormally energetic . Their whole house smelled really divine and as Aaria was enjoying it , she felt a mild breath on her leg .As she looked down, she saw a tiny pair of eyes looking curiously at her . The puppy started running around her in excitement. 

 

She is BhairaviWe found her near our home in Chennai . I had to beg and beg to let me keep her ,but it’s all worth it,isn’t?”.Aaria stared at her in awe .She also had been begging for a pet for years ,but Amma said that we already have too many animals in the house . Of course , it meant her and Arjun . Another reason for the refusal is because of a very sad incident that happened six years before .Arjun had a science project to look after a little white rat . Aaria basically pleaded Amma to let her take care of it. Reluctant at first, but soon gave in .This was one of her biggest mistakes. Aaria bought it to her room and kept it in its cage . Obviously, she left the cage door open .But , while searching for it , she accidentally stamped the baby rat . It was painful and gross to think about it. Her thoughts were interrupted by a lick from Bhairavi . 

 


A lady came from inside the kitchen, wearing an apron with stains all over it .She was shouting “Ei ! Tarun! Do I have to invite you here with bouquet and a marching band ? It is already 7 and I am definitely not going to drop you off in school !I’m-“ she stopped when she saw Aaria , looking embarrassed .”Hi ! I Muniamma ! Nice meet you ! I no Hindi ,no English .Sorry !” she tried .Aaria smiled and said “Don’t worry , I’m Tamil too ! I live opposite to you .Nice to meet you!”  “She looked very flustered and replied “ I’ve been keeping you waiting for a long time .Wait ,I’ll make you something to eat. “and left not waiting for Aaria’s reply .At that time , Tanvi tapped her shoulder and told her to come with her.     

  

The house was neat, but as big as it appeared from outside , the hearts of the people in it was just as big . They made Aaria feel right at home . The old lady who welcomed her made her sit at the dining table and started talking to her .” Hello ! My name is Sundari . I am like your grandmother too , so you can call me ‘Patti’ “  she said ,with the biggest smile ever . She started asking ,”What game do you like to play ? Minecraft …Fortnite …Or do you like outdoor games ? Football…Kabaddi…” she went on . Aaria must have looked surprised as Patti said ,” I play all games with Tarun and Tanvi .When the kids update , we also need to .” Aaria just smiled shyly , handed the sweets to her and asked “ Can I look around the house please ?  Patti smiled and let her go on her own , just like she would have liked .

 

       ************************************************

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER - 1

CHAPTER - 3